I'm Only Shelly, Welcome To My Life!! :)

Well, I hope that this doesnt turn into one of those blogs about how my life is so terrible. And I know it wont because my life ROCKS! I have a great family, great friends and a great place to go to school.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

And you thought it would never come...

Here's my update! well I'm not going to be able to update you on EVERYTHING, I really dont have that much time...but here's whats been goin on w/me in the last month or so.

Yeah...I never finished the Slidell post, but thats because I was planning our NEXT TRIP! A group of 8 left last thursday and drove down to Mandeville, Louisiana. We worked the whole weekend and I made some amazing friends. Its hard though, because when you're working, theres not much time for 'getting to know you' type stuff. So most of that was pushed back to the evenings...when we were tired...really tired...Here are the things I learned this weekend:

1. Winn Dixie is not only a cute dog in some dumb movie, its also a grocery store.

2. Time travel could be possible

3. Sattelite clocks have to be set forward like 38 milliseconds a day because something about light travels faster as you get higher above the earth (or something)

4. I gotta go check the brownies has 2 meanings :)

5. Southern baptists are AMAZING people

6. Cockroaches are afraid of people, but they look at you for a second before they run away.

7. Cockroaches (the big ones like in Men In Black) make a crunch sound when you kill them.

8. Green Mold = eh, not the greatest but ok; Black Mold = Bad

9. Flooded carpets should be removed 48 hours after flood occurs (not 2 months)

10. A parish in the south is like a county, not a church.

11. Honkey is another word for white people...and when someone says sit down ya big honkey, that means they're serious and you should do it right away. :)

12. When you stab an aerosol can with a metal rake, it sounds distinctly like a snake...and it scares people...and then everyone runs away...

13. Shoutouts from Pastor Ken at the homecoming football game of the largest high school in Louisiana (Fontainbleau HS) and at the First Baptist Church of Mandeville make you feel good.

14. When people driving down the road make a sign to tell you thank you for what you did in Slidell, you know that you made a difference in someone's life.

15. I have the greatest friends.

Thats just an overall picture of how much fun we had this weekend. I think the greatest thing for me was making dinner for everyone. Erin, Jen and I made all the food, and it was so fun working with them, plus the guys set the table and we had a very nice candlelight dinner...where we discussed 'checking the brownies' and space travellers :)

I'm so ready to be back there. We leave December 17th, cooincidentally this is my sister's 15th birthday...but I have a feeling she wont mind...especially if i get her a good present.

I've decided that I'm not going to do so much stuff, I like it, but all its doing right now is stressing me out, so I'm just going to shy away from a few organizations on campus so i have some time to relax. The year and a half I've spent at UIS has been all about what other people want me to do, well now its gonna be what I want to do. So deal with it. :)

I'm sure I'll figure out the picture thing soon and then you'll be able to see some of the pictures I took while in Slidell this time. For now, its naptime :)

See Ya,
Shelly

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think one of my fav parts was cooking and laughing w/ you guys in the kitchen too...
and that i have the greatest friends ever.
i 1.5 you!
:-D
edawg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home